Rate: Votes: 44
The Cadet Chapel was dedicated on September 22, 1963. The principal architect of the chapel was Walter A. Netsch, Jr. of Chicago and the construction was overseen by Robert E. McKee, Inc. of New Mexico. The shell of the chapel and surrounding grounds cost $3.5 million; decorations and fittings of the interior were donated by various individuals and organizations. A special Easter offering was taken at Air Force bases around the world in 1959 to help fund completion of the interior. The stated mission of the Air Force Chaplain and the Cadet Chapel is "to inspire men and women to become leaders of character by providing spiritual care and facilitating the free exercise of religion."
About Shape of America
About our Sponsors
Join the Conversation
Deruyter Butler, Atlandia Design; Steve Wynn, Jon Jerde, The Jerde Partnership, Inc.
Frank Lloyd Wright
Gyo Obata, FAIA; Hellmuth, Obata + Kassabaum
Henry Janeway Hardenbergh, FAIA
John Mead Howells, FAIA, and Raymond Hood, FAIA
Joseph Strauss, Chief Engineer; Charles Alton Ellis, Principal Engineer; Irving Morrow, Designer
Julia Morgan, AIA
Lake|Flato Architects, Inc.
Louis Kahn, FAIA
Maya Lin with Cooper-Lecky Partnership
Osborn Architects & Engineers
Philip Johnson, FAIA; Johnson/Burgee Architects; Wilson, Morris, Crain and Anderson
Ray Kappe, FAIA
William Lamb, FAIA; Shreve, Lamb and Harmon